Vineland Elementary Summer Reading Activities
Please click link below for a list of books & activities to complete this summer for students in grades K-5.
Vineland Upper Academy Summer Reading Activities
All rising 6th-8th graders must read the two novels listed below. Studies show when students don’t read over the summer, they lose core reading skills and fall behind when they return to school. Your teachers carefully selected two novels that will encourage reading, allowing you to gain the learning and reading skills needed to succeed in the upcoming school year. You will be tested on the two novels upon your return to school. The test will take place on either Thursday, August 17th, or on Friday, August 18th. Because the Upper Academy is under a block schedule, your test date will be dependent on when you see your language arts teacher.
Required novels by grade level:
Rising 6th graders must read:
● Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
● Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O’Dell
Rising 7th graders must read:
● Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
● Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Rising 8th graders must read:
● Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblink
● Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen